Tuesday, January 4, 2011

There's Something Between Us

I'm in bed.  It's late.  I roll over, brush the hair out of his face and say "You're hot".  No, I'm not talking about my husband...though he is quite a looker.  I'm talking about the little man wedged in bed between us.  My son is sick.  He's been cranky for days and is burning up.  What we thought was teething for the 2 year molars (which is in fact part of it), turned out to be one of the numerous flus running rampant in the area.  Oh joy of joys.

Double joy of joys because his 4 year old sister caught it first.  By a measly 12 hours, but still, first.  

We've spent the last 3 nights tag teaming, loading the kids up with Children's Advil, applying cold cloths to their foreheads and sleeping either in their beds, having one of them in ours while the other is on the couch downstairs or just plain not sleeping.

When your kids are sick, no matter who you are, you feel helpless.  My husband is a Paramedic, but I don't care if you are the head neurosurgeon at the nation's top hospital, when your child is burning up, scared and in pain, you fall apart just a little.

You want to fix this.  But really you can't.  All you can do is ride it out and keep them as comfortable as possible until the light in their eyes shines brightly as it once did.

And you know what?  It's the flu.  They'll get over it, get it a million times more and get over it again.  My kids are ok...miserable for 5-7 days, but ok.  I'm thankful every day that I have my kids at home with me, healthy and happy.

Even with the 3am whimpers to "go downtairs pees Mommy".  Even after watching Home Alone 2 for the zillionth time, or Hannah Montana season one from start to finish.

So yes, even when it's now 4am and I'm up for the 6th time cleaning up some form of bodily fluid that I never wish I'd seen, I'll always be happy that there's something between us.

1 comment:

  1. Geeeez! Home Alone 2 AGAIN!?!?!? Mr. Culkin should feel honoured.

    You're the best Mom ever. And I should know, I'm one of your daughters. (Don't tell Mama D!)

    ReplyDelete